Monday, March 19, 2012

Pre-backfill inspection


Today I had my home inspector come out and do a pre-backfill inspection.  This is a chance to inspect the foundation from both sides and a lot of the plumbing that you cannot see that is either under the concrete slab that they pour in the basement (the inspection is done before this is poured) and the plumbing that goes around the foundation.  This is all stuff that you never see in homes because it is buried and completely inaccessible, so this is the one chance to see it.  I paid $175 for the inspection which took about one hour.

Overall things looked really great.  It seems that my project manager took great care to make sure that all looks good, and my home inspector gave it a thumbs up.  Know that everything is good gives me a lot of peace and mind and I would recommend getting a home inspector for the pre-backfill (my project manager acted like it was not needed).  I have heard stories of crazy things that home inspectors find during these inspections and you don't want your home to be the one that has that pipe that can't drain because it is going up-hill.  I also learned a lot (from the home inspector, the project manager was not there) during the process which is why I would advocate you being there for it.  I learned that a poured concrete foundation (which Ryan homes did) is far superior to cinder block, you will basically never have moisture problems with poured concrete like you will with cinder blocks.  Whoever you build with you should ask them if they use poured concrete or cinder blocks for the foundation.  I now understand where all those pipes that will eventually just run down in to concrete run to and what they are used for.

It was also nice to see how our house fit on the property and finally see what our backyard looks like.  It is a bit on the small side; however, it is mostly because my wife and I are used to the large (and flat) backyards of the Midwest.  Overall things are going on quite well and we are happy with the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment