Monday, February 20, 2012

Meeting with the flooring people

You need to meet with two companies in the first 30 days (besides your mortgage people). The first was guardian for you low voltage wiring which I talked about in my last post. The second (you can meet with them in any order) is the flooring people to choose carpet, tiles, wood flooring and anything else.

The company that was doing our flooring is Stonemark Flooring, and I have to say that the whole process of dealing with them has been horrible. When at their show room it was like pulling teeth to get the price for particular upgrades. I asked if I could just see the list in writing and our associate, Rebecca, would say I don't really have an official list that she could print off, they were all on the computer. SO I kept asking for various upgrades and she would sigh every time before telling me the price for the upgrade. Then finding out what selections were part of that upgrade was also difficult. For example upgrade 6 was below upgrade 1 on the shelf, and when I would ask where upgrade 1 was she would waive vaguely at the shelf making it difficult to know where one upgrade started and one ended. They also lacked knowledge about their product. I would ask what the carpet density or number of twists were for a sample and she would say it was on the back but out of all the samples I picked up only one had it on the back. When I continued to ask she told me that the manufacture didn't tell them what it was. If you have ever bought carpet you will know that these two qualities of a carpet is what tells you the quality of the carpet and all carpets have them listed.  I ended up having to compare the wieght of carpets and try to count the twists myself.  Stonemake flooring was useless when it came to providing product information.

Either they were very bad at their job, didn't care because they knew I had to do business with them, or are trying to deceive me by providing a lower grade carpet. I feel completely cheated by the process of dealing with them that I plan to ask my Ryan Rep for the are manager so I can tell them my experience and how I felt that they are trying to deceive me. I'll let you know how it goes.



I know I have gone on and on about certain upgrades being very over priced, but it seems to be very true for the carpet too.  For example they were charging what came out to be $8.00 per square yard for the upgraded pad.  $23 per square yard for a middle of the line carpet.  It seems that you will do better off if you can upgrade your carpet after you settle if you don't need to roll it in to the mortgage.  Pluss you can select from more brands.  Just so you know the base line carpet is of the same level an apartment would have. 


One last thing, they did this demonstration on the stain resistance of the carpet. They put two carpet samples in a container of cool-aid. When they pulled it out they showed how the carpet without stain guard didn't get dyed. The problem is they waited until my back was turned to set the demonstration up. I would have wanted to see what the carpet looked like before they put it in the cool-aid. Maybe others can comment on if they saw the demonstration set up or did they wait until your back was turned? I have read that stain guard carpet is well worth the money, but as a scientist not seeing the carpet before the cool-aid made the demonstration useless to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment